So it seems forever since I last posted. In fact it is 2 months, which seems shocking…. However, I have had good reason and am in the middle of doing up a new house, working as usual, decluttering, downsizing, my daughters are both in the middle of exams so need chivvying… and generally life is hectic!
The current house we live in was photographed for a magazine coming out towards Christmas, and it is only as I was having to check copy etc that I realised how behind I have become with blogging. So I am now going to concentrate and lead you through the (stressful) world of renovating a house while living a good hour away and with all of the above going on at the same time.
I finally got the house I am renovating vacated by the tenants (who were model renters by the way and if they are reading this, thank you to them!). So it is only this week that I could charge in with various helpers and trades and start the work. I have a 6-8 week window, and this is the current list that needs doing in that time. It might not seem long, but believe me organising the trades to sit seamlessly and in the right order is not always a smooth task…
- Replace all Windows with new sash ones
- Move all radiators and replace with nicer ones in better places
- Run new cabling, replace the electrical consumer unit and install downlighters and extra plugs in several rooms
- Strip off hideous lumpy embossed wallpapers
- Strip off badly applied lining paper
- Strip off the nightmare that is the dreaded wood chip, and is probably holding up 100 year old plasterwork that will blow the minute I remove it and mean that I probably have to re-plaster acres of walls.
- Remove garden facing and replace.
- Remove decrepit shed and replace with a new, dry, insulated one.
- Clear garden.
- Remove kitchen roof interior entirely, and replace with a new one with 2 roof lights to bring much needed light into the room. Include new insulation and plaster.
- Strip and plaster skim ceilings which have revolting swirly artex patterns
- Redecorate entirely
- Stain wooden floors, new carpets to bedroom, and new bathroom floor.
This list was planned to the last detail so that as floorboards went up, each trade could do their bit. But things always go a bit pear-shaped, and an electrician blew me out at the last minute. I had planned to get all of that work done when the floorboards were up for the radiator man’s work, killing two birds with one stone. I even had an excel spreadsheet ready. But that has all gone to pot a bit now…
Even sadder of me, I made up templates of all my furniture in newspaper, correct to the last millimetre! This meant I could play with where things would/could fit. This actually has been really useful, although I got strange looks from the family as I made up the templates. Continue reading