FINDING A JUNK SHOP SIDEBOARD
The Armoire which caused so much chaos, see prior story about internet fraudsters, was finally sold to a lovely local lady. This left a gaping chasm in the hallway, and I needed to find something in which I could store art paper supplies, and general ‘stuff’. I trawled local ads and ebay, looking for an Architects Plan chest. But a) they are really expensive even in dire condition and b) the depth dimensions are large, and It would have been a little too deep for the space in the hall. So I needed something long, waist height so it did not interfere with the visual diagonal line of the banisters and with multiple storage options, oh and also to be as cheap as possible. The local charity shops proved fruitless and I was beginning to look online at more expensive and new options. But I do like a bargain, so that was not really doing it for me….
So I set off to a shop in my town that has house clearance stock and opens at strange random times. It is a hit and miss affair, but this time I struck gold. I found a dresser base style sideboard in full-on orange pine, all for under £80, brilliant!
Here is the offending item pre-makeover:
The sideboard is modern pine, solidly made but way too orange and dull.
GETTING STUCK IN
I felt like something dramatic was needed for the sideboard, and found some graphite Annie Sloan chalk paint left over in the stockpile. I gave it a really good sand and two coats of paint. This is the point when you start something and you always think “Uh oh…”, but there is no going back once you have begun! I used about a 5th of an Annie Sloan pot of chalk paint for the whole sideboard, (and that was 2 coats), and the half a tin of clear wax. I recommend dipping your paintbrush in water each time before you dip it into the chalk paint, then swirl it once before applying the paint, this creates a much smoother paint finish than neat chalk paint.
A coat of clear wax was applied all over once the paint was bone dry. I also gave the top surface area another coat to add extra protection (my family brutalise the furniture a lot so better to be safe than sorry). I let it dry overnight and then gave it a serious rubbing to buff the wax up to a sheen.
I LOVE it! The grey is not totally 100% solid, so it has an interesting effect. And I have a fabulous huge surface area to play with for dressing. So I started with some glass domes:
And as it is heading for Halloween I added some lovely mini gourds and pumpkins that I found in the local greengrocer for a mere 50p each. These will no doubt be roasted or made into soup when I am feeling peckish.
I have enough room on top for flowers, lamps, key bowl, seasonal decorations and more, so I am going to enjoy changing things around a lot. There is loads of storage, and I think it fits really well in the hallway.
- Total outlay in time: 2 evenings, 2 hours per evening.
- Total outlay in cost: £80 for the sideboard and delivery, plus leftover paint and wax from older projects and recycling some door knobs. £2.00 for the gourds.